Pages

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Survey

Survey

I’m taking a survey of everything,
so on a scale of one to five,
how would you rate your experience?
Do you feel that you’ve obtained unknown
truths lying in bed staring at blank walls?
Do you feel as if all suffering leads to great things?
Or that late night meditative cigarettes leave brilliant
ashes on your stoop, to be washed away by the next rain,
returning a small part of you to the gentle Earth?
Here:
I am thinking of what to say, now that everyone
is talking, and singing, and eating, and drinking. And I
sighed in their warm embrace, and I sighed on that
silent drive home, and I sighed while making love,
wondering who I was as I stood naked on the front lawn
of eternity, unsure and scared.
And I’ve silently chanted to anyone listening,
moving in between counters. I went back to my day job,
but I saw it everywhere, even in their benign attempts
to be civil, and I wondered how much of it was real.
So I drank to subdue the questions,
and I smoked to seek some answers,
and I laughed at myself and cried.
So now I’m left with these faces,
moving forward, though I question the
absurdity of it all.
Please respond A.S.A.P.

No comments: