Pages

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Dishwasher

Dishwasher

Sometimes when asked my vocation,

I answer “dishwasher”.

I learn more about the soul

From a stranger smoking wet

Cigarettes on a street corner.

Or the hooker who perfected

The five minuet trick,

Who taught me economics.

I wash dishes and listen

To the girls gossip:

About who is fat or ugly or high or strung out.

And I can’t stomach it.

So I keep the coffee hot

Watching the quick dance

Of consumption.

The history of it all.

Conversations matching the sweet

Cups of electric radio.

Everything still and bright,

Just like the moment before death.

And I watch or listen,

Distinctive hum of cycles,

Dots forever strewn from light to light,

The madness of wage, drifting trough this life

Silent and aware.

No comments: