Pages

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Grass Tastes Like This

Too far away from these or those,
the quiet chirp.
I’m not nearly as mad
                             when I inhale & catch the liquid
& sit & talk
& remember when we swore off this
life /
praised the sun
naked.

Caught the light off of leaves we chewed, listening intently to nothing much at all. We said more than once
that the speech we used
would only be exalted.

Now I sit here away from home,
with work, bills, my rough hands
& blunt tongue:
content with this cigarette all these years latter,
the music is still there but the mode has changed.
And when you sat there
tying an arm around yourself,
when I woke up with
that scent in my blood &
adjusted my eyes to the
steady lack of light,
put on cloths & set out,
I thought about not thinking
until I laughed.

No comments: